Apple Galette

Thursday, 20 October 2011

Apple Galette

I'm a picky eater. It's actually embarrassing for me to admit I'm picky and I try to hide it when eating out with friends. When faced with a new food item, I am usually gripped with irrational fear (irrational, because in the worst case scenario, I don't like it. The end) that passes in a moment or two.

Years ago, my friend Alison instituted a policy that required me to order a new dish every time we ate out together (she was frustrated with my constant order of chicken fingers and fries, and frankly, I should have been too). It was the best thing,and  thanks to her I discovered so many new dishes I was previously afraid to try.

Since Alison and I have both moved away from home in opposite directions, I've had to make my own policy. It's a simple 'try everything once' rule.

Which leads me to an apple galette. As a child, there was something unappetizing to me about baked apples (crazy, I know). Up until Canadian Thanksgiving, I had never tried and liked an apple pie. But I was desperately determined to change this sad, sad fact. I started with Elephantine's brilliant recipe (and adorable video) and eventually concocted my own version, below.

Apple Galette

As it turns out, my fears were unfounded, baked apples are delicious.
Apple galette recipeReplies:
Julie: thanks :).
Cara: Did you get your new computer? Photoshop is too much fun.
Michelle: I also hope you make it back there next summer!
Needles and Wool: I've heard La Belle Province is great, I'll give it a try!
Jacquelyn / lark + linen: thank you! It is such a lovely place, it's so lovely to visit.





7 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh wow, this looks delicious! I'm a huge fan of apples, and this looks like a recipe even *I* can manage. Thanks, Erica!

x Lauren
www.liliripe.com

Michelle said...

yum!

Julie said...

oooh, that looks so good!! I wouldn't describe you as a picky eater anymore... Especially desserts.... maybe you are a dessert-atarian?

Alison said...

Everyone is picky in their own way, but I love your "try it once" rule! I've recently decided Cilantro is just not for me, or at least not in quantities where it overwhelms, and it almost always does.

Your baking really looks delicious!

Miss You!

carol-ine said...

You sound like me. I have had the stigma of being a picky eater ever since I was little and whenever I am reminded many times that I am a picky eater (why do others care so much about what we eat?). I like my chicken tenders too!

I've been seeing a lot of apple galette in fall's magazine and since apple is my favorite fruit I'm always telling myself to make it. But it looks like hard work. :( But then again, they look so good...

nicola lynde. said...

This looks so yummy. I'm definitely 'pinning' it and and saving it for next time I need a cozy dessert.

a-hearts said...

This looks so delish.

xoxo aley

http://a-hearts.blogspot.com/

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger