Recommended Read: St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves

Thursday, 22 September 2011

St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves 

This book has been discussed on numerous blogs, however, it was Christy's  recommendation that prompted me to pick up a copy for myself. St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves is a series of stories narrated by characters that are either on the cusp of or the midst of adolescence. Despite the mythological elements of each tale, the pain and confusion associated with growing up is entirely relatable. Almost too relatable - I often found these stories to be painful reminders of the awkward middle school experience. Despite this, Karen Russell's narrators are charming in their insecurity, and it wasn't long before I was hooked. Most of the time, I wished each story was a little longer so I could spend more time with the characters. St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves deserves its rave reviews. 

Replies:
erica: I go to Katrina at The Proudest Pony, she does a great job. Also, I think you would love Montreal, a pre-halloween trip would be perfect!
jen: I know all about getting nervous before going to a salon, but I hope you absolutely love your new haircut.
Celine: Thanks, I'm looking forward to it all, too. :)
Anabela: They're at Queen Margherita Pizza, yum.
Lexie, Little Boat: You're angled bob sounds cute! I always hate to wash my hair after getting it cut, because it's always styled so nicely.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! When I finally finished it a few days ago (I read it in small increments to try to make it last longer), I was pretty devastated that it was over! I definitely wanted to spend more time with the characters. Incidentally, the author has written a full-length novel called "Swamplandia!" about Ava Bigtree and family, so that's next on my reading list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great! You have to read "Swamplandia" now. It is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am going to go to the library tomorrow and see if this is in stock! as a 6th grade teacher, maybe it will increase my empathy for girls' classroom drama..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read so many recommendations for this book. and during the summer, her other book swamplandia was all over powell's bookstore and it caught my eye. I just put a hold on it at the library, so looks like I'll be reading it soon too. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this book, too! It is that perfect balance of magic realism, and she nails childhood experiences so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you heard of Swamplandia? It's Russel's first novel, built off of Ava Wrestles the Alligator. I've yet to read it--it's been sitting on my bookshelf for ages now, but I love her style! Can't wait to get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite books of all time!

    http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger