Lemon Macarons

Friday, 10 June 2011

DSC_0403

Thank you so much to those of you who commented on my last post regarding your favorite bits of my little blog. I was extremely touched by your kindness and interest. Between all of you, the bits you enjoyed added up to nearly every kind of post I've written. A reminder that if I share what I love, you just might love it, too.

These lemon macarons were a small triumph. Once again, I used a recipe from Cannelle et Vanille, I really trust her. The recipe is actually for vanilla bean macarons, and here's the small triumph bit, but I was able to modified it ever so slightly to make lemon macarons.
Modifications:
  • I skipped the egg white powder, because I didn't have any.
  • No vanilla sugar, I used regular sugar instead.
  • I added 2 tsp. lemon zest and yellow food coloring (which didn't mix completely, hence the orange streaks).
  • After piping out all the macaron shells, I banged the cookie sheet on the counter a few times to make sure the air bubbles came to the surface. To me, this is the most important step in macaron baking.
  • The filling is Swiss meringue buttercream with approximately 1/3 of a cup lemon curd
These took a good day in the kitchen and were so worth it.
Lemon-y goodness!
DSC_0397

Replies
suzy smalls: oh, I'm reading a great book right now. The recommendation will be up as soon as I finish it. :) Also, I've got some new knitting patterns I'm working away on. 
evencleveland: that means so much to me, thank you. 
knitxcore: they are ranunculus! 
katrina: I hope you got your copy of the Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I just finished the third, lovely!
Julie: thanks for loving everything :).
Andie Portillo: thanks, more favorites this afternoon! :)
Angelica: reading a good one right now! I will let you know all about it. 
Cara: waiting for that photo ;)
Michelle: aw, thank you!
Becky: I'm not the only one! thanks :)
Jane Flanagan: Always, you write the best posts!


9 comments:

Jane Flanagan said...

Oh how wonderful!! Yum. Lemon are my fave!

I had my new favourite macarons in Toronto from Nadege last week (newly opened in Rosedale). But even better are her Canele. Seriously - I had no idea. If you're up that way give them a try!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

kenzie said...

those look so good! lemon is the best. great job on making them again!

Julie said...

Look at you, improvising new combos from the recipe, they look SO good!! I like the streaky bits the best! And you can't get better than lemon for a summer dessert flavour. :D

t a n y a said...

holy crow. seriously delicious looking.

jen said...

those cookies look amazing! lemon is totally the best flavor. totally impressed that you are freestyling these recipes, that always scares me!

Michelle said...

yum!

knitxcore. said...

you made those?! i wish i was a better baker.

andrea said...

so brave! I'm too afraid to even try these...

Lexie, Little Boat said...

oooh pictures of your success! i cant believe i missed this. they look soooo good!

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger