Recommended Reads: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

Sunday, 15 May 2011

DSC_0401
This series will usually take place on Friday, but due to this week's blogger mishaps, it is late.

I’m so excited to be back writing recommended reads posts, not only because it means I am able to share my favorite current reads, but it also means that I’m reading for fun again!  First up is a book I’ve absolutely devoured, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. The main character, eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, is a charming, if unreliable narrator. Flavia is an aspiring chemist with two older sisters against whom she is often plotting revenge (her chemical skills come in handy when she puts poison ivy oils into her oldest sister’s lipstick). When she stumbles over a man lying in her family’s cucumber patch, he whispers “Vale” with his last breath. Thus begins Flavia’s quest to determine the man’s identity and solve his murder. Flavia has spunk, and I don’t know about you, but I dreamed of solving mysteries when I was her age. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is a light and entertaining read. Perfect for spring.


A favorite quote: “For a moment, I thought of breaking the silence, but, on second thought, decided against it and walked away in a careless manner, whistling the “Harry Lime” theme from the Third Man.” This quote jumped out at me seeing as I just watched The Third Man the weekend before, it’s a great film noir with Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles. 

DSC_0402

Replies


Blossoms

Jane: Thanks! I hope you had a wonderful weekend!
Yoel: I sure did! A Nikon D3100. It is making blogging so much easier!
Louise: Thank you!

Extended Absenses and Macarons.
Jane: I definitely hope to stay in Toronto!
Kenzie: Thanks! Macarons are quite tricky little things. :)
that kate: Oh, I hope you do try! My first batch (not posted and from another recipe) was a total failure, but the Cannelle et Vanille recipe is really good.
iris: White Russian macarons sound incredible!
Michelle: thanks!
Katrina: thank you! I hope you try making macarons, you'd be great at it!
Julie: haha! your comment made me giggle.

5 comments:

knitxcore. said...

OHHHH! this sounds good. i'll download it tonight. i am so bored with "The Life of Pi".

Caitlin said...

I loved this book, too! The sequel is just as good. I've got the 3rd book on hold at the library and can't wait for it to come in.

yoel said...

Ooh, isn't this book so wonderful!?! Kinda makes me want to be a chemist (who does chemistry, not the Brit kind who sells medicines).

shereen said...

the books in this series get better and better. read them all!

Claire M. said...

I love to read that book too :)

Claire M.

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger