Dala Horses

Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Dala hest mittens!

I've gotten a little obsessed with Dala Horses.

I owe this obsession and the discovery of this mitten pattern to Melinda Josie. When Melinda posted this picture on her flickr stream months ago, I hounded her to see where the pattern was from. She was kind enough to share and she posted about her finished mittens here, on her blog.

Not only is Melinda a talented knitter, she paints incredibly beautiful paintings.

You can read a little story about the Swedish Dala Horse tradition here or here. (The stories are very different, so I included both.)

Thanks to J who took all the photos of me and the mittens.
I couldn't help but show off all the pretty details of the pattern:

Dala hest mittens!

Dala and Hest spelled out on the inside of the thumb.

Dala horse mittens

Lacy cuffs.

Dala hest mittens!

Peak top.

19 comments:

Kate said...

Beautiful enough to almost make me wish I was in mitten wearing weather. Almost.

severien said...

So gorgeous!! Mittens like these are why I wanted to learn to knit in the first place... So pretty...

Laura said...

oh i LOVE them!!!! those are the best mittens i've seen in a long time.

Celine said...

you have the prettiest mittens ever. I can't believe you knitted them!

Siga said...

Lacy cuffs are so so pretty. I got to try that on one of the mitts.

kenzie said...

amazing! i love the details so much. Makes me want to do fair-isle for the first time. really lovely.

Wayside Violet said...

gorgeous!!

Julie said...

They are so, so pretty!! Just amazing colourwork.

jen said...

so so wonderful! i have these in my ravelry queue for someday when i'm half as good at fair isle as you!

caroline said...

oh my. these are awesome. my knitting skills are no where near you. makes me inspired to learn more about knitting.

madder said...

oh, i love dala horses and these mittens!

erin jane / atlantic treefox said...

wow! i really wish i could handle that kind of knitting. amazing job!

Jane Flanagan said...

These are amazing!!! Wow!

Lexie, Little Boat said...

these are so, so lovely.

nicole said...

SUPER-DUPER pretty! And yay, a free pattern to boot. These are definitely going in my queue.

erica-knits said...

Laura, Celine, WaysideViolet, Julie, madder, erin jane/atlantictreefox, caroline, Jane, Lexie, Thank you! So glad you like them. :) They were fun to knit.

Kate, that made me smile, but mostly, I'm ridiculously jealous. I hear they need librarians in California...

severin, yay! So glad you're inspired to knit.

Siga, I thought the lacy-cuffs were such a great idea! I will be using that pattern again!

kenzie, oh I hope you try fair-isle! It's easier than it looks.

jen, you'll be great at fair-isle. You can already cable like mad, you'll be fine!

nicole, Yay! Glad you're adding them to your queue.

erica said...

love them! i wear the mittens you made nearly every day in the winter. they are so comfortable and still look great after several years of wear. wish i could knit something so complex and pretty as these dala horses!

Theo said...

brilliant mittens and what an authentic dalahäst.

awesome blog erica.

Anonymous said...

where is the pattern for the mittens?

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger