Recommended Reads: Light Boxes

Friday, 12 November 2010

Light Boxes

This is probably not the best book to read as winter is on it's way, but I'm so glad I did. Light Boxes is about a war waged by a town full of balloonists against the month of February. It is written in prose poetry and a very quick read. The subject matter is as dark as the month of February (which in my own opinion is a pretty great month, but my birthday makes me biased...) and it is so good!

I would love to take submissions for this series.
Do you have a book to recommend?
Take a picture of the cover (library books are totally acceptable! drawings are acceptable!) and send along a paragraph or two describing what you loved about your book. What makes it special? Why would others enjoy it?
Send me an email erica.smithm(at)gmail(dot)com if you would like to recommend a book! :)

I also just found out that it is Book Week on Where the Lovely Things Are, so good.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I just finished reading a strange but terrific book... I'll have to check it out of the library again to snap a photo of it and send you the details!

caroline said...

I would definitely recommend
extremely loud and incredibly close. and if you want a different style, try blankets. it's a graphic novel, and I'm not one for graphic novels (or comics), but I felt really moved/touched by that one.

Julie said...

I wants to borrow, pleaz!! sounds so intriguing.

Julie said...

How about mixing it up with some non fiction? Flapper was a very very good read, I'm sure you'd really enjoy it. So was Wildflower. I highly recommend both.

Flapper link:
http://www.amazon.ca/Flapper-Madcap-Celebrity-America-Modern/dp/1400080541/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289833872&sr=8-1

Wildflower Link:
http://www.amazon.ca/Wildflower-Extraordinary-Untimely-Death-Africa/dp/1400067367/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289833900&sr=1-1

Belle-Maree said...

I don't have a photo, but I highly recommend Five Quarters of Orange, written by Joanne Harris, she wrote Chocolat. Framboise Simon goes back to live in a small french village she lived in a a girl during German occupation. She is the daughter of a infamous woman held responsible for a tragedy during the occuaption. I think you'll like Ms. Harris' writing.

evencleveland said...

I love the cover. War waged with balloons! Sometimes a good cover or pictures is enough for me - I want to read the new Carson Ellis book for that very reason: http://www.carsonellis.com/blog/2010/08/22/dillweeds-revenge-at-nationale/

Maybe I will get out my drawing pencils and draw the cover of one to suggest ... today is a good day for noodling around.

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger