Recommended Reads: It's Kind of a Funny Story

Friday, 8 October 2010


In honor of it's theatrical release, I thought I would read the novel It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. I caught a showing of the movie at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) and it was wonderful.

The novel is classified as young-adult fiction, but I think the themes are relevant for adults, and the large print is a nice change! The premise for the movie and the novel are the same: Craig is fourteen years old and under tremendous pressure to get good grades so he can "get into a good school, so he can get a good job, so he can buy a house, so he can have a family, etc." In desperation one night he finds himself on the ledge of the Brooklyn Bridge. Instead of committing suicide, he checks himself into a psychiatric hospital and to his dismay, ends up in the adult ward where there is a mandatory one week stay. What follows is Craig's own day-by-day account of learning how to get back on his feet. Despite being about mental illness, it's not depressing and it's really earnest.

I think It's Kind of a Funny Story reminded me that it's really easy to put too much pressure on myself. Craig is a fourteen year old, worrying that if he misses one assignment his whole future will be destroyed. Life shouldn't be something to stress over, it should be enjoyed. So there's the moral of today's recommended read, that, and the fact that the movie is really fun.

Another great piece on depression (that's similarly not depressing) is Andrew Solomon's MOTH story The Refugees.

On that note, I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Catch the movie if you can! (or wait until cheap Tuesday)

Fellow Canadians, have a happy Thanksgiving!


5 comments:

Julie said...

are there still cheap Tuesdays? I'm so out of the loop on movies. I'll have to give this a read! I love the cover art, too.

buttercup caren said...

This is the second time I've heard of this book, with a great review, so I think it's past time I head out & pick up a copy. I'm a fan of smart YA novels; sometimes they're smarter than "grown up" books.
Did you ever read Perks of Being a Wallflower?
Happy Thanksgiving (from a fellow Canadian)!

Jess said...

Oh, I just requested this from the library a week ago!

Reading the last comment - Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of my favorite books, it's a very smart YA novel for sure.

I'm half way through Come, Thou Tortoise and I LOVE it! I love Audrey's voice, she's so endearing and I find myself thinking like her! Thank you for the great recommendation!

erica-knits said...

Julie, we went to cheap Tuesdays this summer. :P. You'd find this one to be a quick read.

Buttercup caren, I've always wanted to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, I'll have to find myself a copy from the library. Thanks for the reminder!

Jess, we're on the same page! haha. :) I'm so thrilled to hear that you're loving Come, Thou Tortoise! Let me know what you think when you finish it.

Michelle said...

I didn't realize the movie was based off a book. Good to know! I do want to see the movie though, and will hopefully catch it soon.

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger