Recommended Reads: The Haunted Hotel

Friday, 29 October 2010

The Haunted Hotel!
This week, in true, Halloween spirit, I picked a book from Penguin's Classic Horror series, The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins. It is truly a work of Victorian fiction. Victorian morals play a big roll in the novel; there is a virtuous young lady, Agnes Lockwood, who can do no wrong and an evil Countess who has stolen the good woman's fiancee, Lord Montbarry. When the Countess marries the Lord, strange things begin to occur. It's not long before Montbarry is dead and the fates of Agnes and the Countess are intertwined. As with most Victorian novels, the plot takes a backseat role to characters and setting. It's a quick read to get you in the Halloween mood.

I am so glad it's Friday. This week has been long and full of worry (just school stress). I'm looking so forward to an afternoon of baking Halloween treats! I'm also developing two new patterns to post in the coming weeks. (focusing on the positive!)

Hope you have happy Halloween!
ooOOOOooo

3 comments:

Cara said...

I love Wilkie Collins! Yet, I haven't read that book! Someday when I regain the ability to read for personal interest, I'll have to pick that one up!

yoel said...

Wilkie Collins is a great pick for Halloween! Off to find my copy...

Julie said...

An awesome choice!! And that is a mighty fine piece of cover art. Love.

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger