Recommended Read: The History of Love

Friday, 15 October 2010

56780015

Wait? It's Friday already?!!

What happened to my week? I'm sorry I missed my regular post! Really, where did this week go? I guess I can be thankful that it's Friday and the weekend is near, that's always a good thing.

This week's book is Nicole Krauss' The History of Love, it's not a new book for me. I read it once three years ago and read it again in anticipation of her new novel Great House that came out last week (I'm half-way through it!). I couldn't have a recommend reads series without mentioning The History of Love. One of my favorite lines is "Her laughter was the question he wanted to spend his whole life answering". My second favorite line is: "Leo Gursky is survived by an apartment full of shit".

The History of Love combines humor with heartbreak, young (14 year-old Alma) and old (octogenarian Leo Gursky), romance and loss. This novel is so touching, the end is so phenomenal I cry every time I read it.

In other news, fall is in full swing. I dug out my hot water bottle, or "hottie" as they're called on Toast's website, for the first time last night. I've also had pumpkin pie for breakfast more days than I should count. Isn't fall the best?

leaves and shoes
Last year's gorgeous leaves.

This photo makes me smile.

8 comments:

Jess said...

What beautiful leaves!

You may have written about him before, but have you read Jonathan Safran Foer? He's my favorite author and I think the plot of this book is so much like his! It's funny that they are married.

I can't wait to read her new book!

The laughter quote is one of my favorite quotes of all time, I remember writing it down when I first read the book many years ago!! So sweet.

Can't wait to hear what you think of Great House!

Christine said...

Pumpkin pie for breakfast... it doesn't get any better than that. I'm loving this book recommendations and am putting them on my "to find at the library" list.

CARLY WAITO said...

This is maybe my favourite book ever. Did you know that she is coming to the International Festival of Authors at Harbourfront Centre. She is doing an interview on Saturday, Oct. 23. I can't wait! And I can't wait to read her new book!

jana said...

that book is so good! can't wait to hear about (and read) the new one!
thanks for your recommendations!!

Julie said...

I love Toast, that site is a dream come true. And pumpkin pie is the breakfast of champions!!!

Michelle said...

I don't see anything wrong with pumpkin pie for breakfast :)
I've read this book and I have to agree that it is brilliant and heartbreaking. Just lovely!
I am fully embracing fall this year (I usually dread it)

Jen said...

The History of Love is one of my favourites. My partner and I included a passage from it in our wedding ceremony! I'm excited for her new one; I have it on hold at the library and its status is currently "in transit." Yay!

Visions through my retina said...

fall is my favorite time of the year!! great photo!
www.visionsthroughmyretina.blogspot.com
xoxo aja

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger