Recommended Reads: The Millenium Series

Friday, 3 September 2010

The Girl Who Played With Fire

Maybe you've seen these three books around...

The Millennium Series by Stieg Larson is probably the most read series of 2010 (not verified). So I'll just join the millions (the masses!) and recommend them to you for what, I'm sure, is the trillionth time (or something like that). Michelle, a lovely fellow Torontonian and reader recommended the first book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Well, once you get into the series, it's hard to stop. So, I will blame Mr. Larson for my tardy Summer Reads write-ups.

The Millennium Series consists of three books: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire and The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. There are also three wonderful Swedish movies to go with them (the third to be released in North America Oct.15). So wildy popular is this series, that the Globe and Mail (a large newspaper in Canada) did a two page article titled, The Summer of Stieg.

The trilogy follows Lisbeth Salander, "The Girl", who takes her revenge on the "men who hate women" (in fact, this was the original Swedish title) with the assistance of a reporter Michael Blomkvist. They're juicy, intriguing, full of suspense and just fun to read.

8 comments:

Denise said...

I read the first book in that series for book club last month and couldn't put it down, now I want to see the movie and read the other two!

t a n y a said...

I didn't think I'd like the first book but once I got through the first few pages it was non stop reading. I saw the movie and was a bit disappointed with it, though the actress who plays Lisbeth was spot on!

Michelle said...

I am glad you enjoyed them! I can't wait to read the second, which will come very soon as I am almost done with Eat, Pray, Love (which compared to the movie, I enjoy much more, as it goes further in depth with certain aspects of her journey).

Julie said...

You have finally wore me down-I will read the first one, and go from there. :P

Lydia said...

Ahhh!! i read these books so fast. It took me a while to get into the first one, but once I did, I couldn't put them down. amazing stuff. Such a fun summer read!

Lovely blog you have here! :)

chrrristine said...

I caught the bug too (currently on book number two), and have been sneaking out for lunch all by myself all week to get some more reading done. It's so hard to put down!

maryann said...

am i the only one not to like this book? i read the first and my husband read the second---i think his quote was "um,, are these supposed to be good?" not a fan

erica-knits said...

Maryann, you are the second person this week that said they weren't impressed. Fear not, you are not alone! Out of curiosity what was it that you didn't like? Too slow, too violent? I would love to know.

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger