Recommended Reads: Come, Thou Tortoise

Friday, 27 August 2010

Come, Thou Tortoise
(no time to take a new photo, you must read this book!!)
Well, I was horribly distracted from my "Summer Reads" series by a certain very popular trilogy (more on that next week). Therefore, I've changed the series to "Recommended Reads" and I plan to keep it going well into the school year.
Since I left you without recommendations for so long, I knew I had to come back with a stellar book. Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant is exactly that.
In the beginning, Audrey, or Oddly as she's more fondly known, is on her way home after learning that her father is in a coma. She is forced to leave her tortoise, Winnifred in the hands of her friends, while she is away. Between the two of them, they narrate a story about dealing with loss in a unique and playful way. I laughed out loud reading this (If you're shy about those kinds of things, be prepared to read it in private. It's impossible not to laugh.). If I tell you any more, I'll give too much away.
This is a truly magical book. I went to buy this book on a recommendation from Julie, but discovered that seven (7!) bookstore staff members recommended it, as well. In return, I've already passed my copy on twice to great reviews. It's the best book I've read all summer.

5 comments:

Jess said...

this sounds really entertaining, my library doesn't have it so I'll have to order it! I love a book that really makes me laugh.

Michelle said...

I've heard only good things about that book. I am reading Eat Pray Love (never have! Been wanting to for the longest time), then next up is The Girl Who Played with Fire (obsessed!)

Jen said...

A friend of mine recommend this book to me and just today I got an email notification telling me it's ready for pickup at the library! I'm excited to read it.

Jooann said...

I heard so much good thing about this book. I have to read it. :) Nice blog.!

erica-knits said...

Jess, It's so good, it's worth owning, I think. Though, I keep passing my copy on. You could always ask your library if they are willing to bring it in!

Michelle, Eat Pray Love, nice. I went to the movie (I'm a cheater). I really enjoyed it. Also, I devoured the Millenium Series after you recommended the first one!

Jen, so exciting! I hope you love it as much as I did.

Jooann, I'm glad you've heard good things from a few places about this book. Thanks!

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger