Summer Reads #1: Cool Water

Wednesday, 30 June 2010


Summer vacations are the perfect time to get in a little reading. I've read on the plane flying across provinces, in the car on day trips and on a blanket outside catching some sun. In my experience the best books I've read are the ones recommended to me by friends. One of my summer goals was to come up with a weekly feature, so each week for the rest of the summer I will recommend a new book.

After months of unentertaining choices, I got a hold of some good ones. Julie insisted I read Cool Water by Dianne Warren earlier this spring and I finally got around to it in May. It is one of those books with mulitple characters with their own overlapping story lines. The characters are all bound together by the place they live, a small rural Saskatchewan farming town that's been hit by hard times. The theme of the novel concerns the daily occurences, frustrations, and charms of small town living. Each story comes to its own conclusion happy or sad, but the overall effect is bittersweet. I found the characters to be extremely well developed and grounded in reality. My pet peeve is when characters personality changes dramatically at the end of a book, but the characters in Cool Water stay true. Though the setting is rural Canada, this is not just a rural Canadian book, it's a book about people struggling to communicate with one another.


And just because tomorrow is Canada Day, here is a little different version of the national anthem:

WARNING it's a little goofy.

Oh Canada - Classified.


5 comments:

Michelle said...

I am currently reading Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Only on the 1st chapter, so I can't really tell you how good it is, but I've only heard good things. I am very excited to read for pleasure instead of school. I've missed it and have a list a mile long to prove it.

hibou said...

I have to say, that video got me a little choked up. It might have been the "A part of our heritage" bits that did it. I think ever since the Olympics, I've been a a bit more precious about Canadiana. Happy Canada Day!

Thanks for the book recommendation! I look forward to the Summer series.

hearblack. said...

happy canada day erica! (late, yes)

Julie said...

I guess you already know I loved that book!! You'll have to let me know how the Imperfectionists is going.

erica-knits said...

Michelle, Oh! I want to read that one, you'll have to let me know how it is. I've heard only good things, as well. I know what you mean about needing to read for pleasure again when school is over. It's what I look forward to the most each summer.

Hibou, my patriotism has certainly increased since the olympics, as well. Hope you had a great Canada Day.

Nathan and Katie, hope you two had a great Canada Day in Switzerland!

Julie, The Imperfectionists is coming up this week!

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger