Aran Cables

Tuesday, 13 April 2010

I`ve tossed around the idea of knitting a blanket for my apartment for awhile now. It`s one of those projects that is constantly set aside for more exciting. This past weekend, I bought some Cascade 220 Superwash in (no surprise here) grey that I`m determined to devote to the making of a nice cabled lap blanket. (Okay, I wavered a little and checked Ravelry for sweater patterns...).

Now that I am dead set on knitting a lap blanket, I`ve been looking around for inspiration online. Elena`s Making Margaret posts are fascinating, I love hearing about the process of creating. Folk`s Aran Golden Cardigan features lovely diamond aran cables, the same found on the Flocks carpet, below. My lap blanket is sure to feature diamond cables. In the meantime, I`m swatching with the help of the book Traditional Aran Knitting.

Jane also has a lovely post about Aran textures over on her blog.

(I cannot remember where this photo is from, but I know the carpet is from Flocks)(Flocks Carpet)

For more inspiring photographs not related to knitting at all, check out Brian Ferry`s Cliff Edge Series.

Also, Smitten Kitchen`s Spinach and Chickpeas dish is delicious. I`m off to make it for dinner.

8 comments:

Kaye Prince said...

I was actually just thinking about knitting a rug out of t-shirts this morning - I think it'd feel nice. But maybe I should finish up the granny square afghan and all the quilts for Market before I take on that project, teehee!

erica-knits said...

Isn`t it hard to stick with one project? I can`t wait to see all yours completed!

Hope Chella said...

I think you should go for it. Remember, starting is the hardest part :)

Have a great night,
Hope xoxo

elena gold said...

oh, that's nice to hear you are liking my margaret posts erica! A grey cabled blanket sounds just about perfect. Smart move on the superwash and I love the idea of diamond cables! Aren't they so pretty? I haven't even started knitting the actual margaret yet,(still at the math stage, sigh) but I'm already dreaming of the next one: with diamond cables! ;) Can't wait to see the blanket as you progress.

Jane Flanagan said...

Ohh! You have to come visit Ireland some time. You would love it! Thanks for the link love.

tinihearts ♥ said...

that carpet is AWESOME!!

Julie said...

I have been lusting after that carpet for at least two years now- it's so wonderful!! aran lap blanket is definitely a good idea.

Melissa said...

I knit a simple lap blanket (and posted about it on my blog) for my mother. It was sooo much work but it turned out so well.

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger