Pysanky

Monday, 22 March 2010


80/365, originally uploaded by fieldguided.

Isn't this photo amazing?! Anabela took it at Robber where Erin had just picked this gorgeous pysanka up at a Ukrainian bazaar. I'm particularly fascinated because I signed up for a Pysanky class at the workroom next Saturday afternoon. I've always had a soft spot for these gorgeous Easter eggs, do any Canadians remember those Heritage Canada commercials that featured these beauties? At least I think it was a Heritage Canada commercial...
Speaking of Canada and pysanka, apparently Vegreville, Alberta is home to a giant one!

Other things to look forward to this week include clouds and finishing up three more assignments.

Oh, and I almost forgot: I'm addicted to this song.

EDIT// I did forget to mention that @JillSutherland recommended this band to me in the first place! She's the best.


12 comments:

anabela / fieldguided said...

I'm glad you like this picture! I love when I treat my camera like a point and shoot and good things happen anyhow.

erica-knits said...

Anabela, Amazing things happened!

Kaye Prince said...

Ohhh, I want that cookie cutter but they're sold out! Okay, if you bring your cookie cutter to my house to make cookies, I'll let you play with my KitchenAid mixer! How's that?

CARLY WAITO said...

I've always wanted to try making Pysanky. I finally am going to do it this year! I ordered a bunch of supplies online about a month ago in anticipation of spring, but I haven't had time to play with them yet. I can't wait to see what you make in the class!

erica-knits said...

Kaye, you have yourself a deal. How about April? :)

Carly, It was such a pleasure meeting you on Saturday. I can't wait to see your pysanky! I hope you find some time to play with your supplies. :) I promise to put pictures of my pysanky up, even if they look to be made by a five year old.

Julie said...

that class will no doubt be so much fun!! and I LOVE that cloud cookie cooker- I can't believe you got one! now the site is all sold out. :(

katrina said...

my grandma had tons of those eggs all over her house!
she was ukrainian, so this gives me happy nostalgia :)

CARLY WAITO said...

It was great meeting you too Erica! I had so much fun!

jen said...

you are going to have so. much. fun. in your class, we made those in high school, and my parents have mine in a cabinet still. can't wait to see yours!

Juli said...

Gah, Erin mentioned something about the bazaar. Oh how I wish I was able to go. I have been dying (no pun intended) to take a pysanky class but will have to wait until my schedule frees up. Sigh. Not like I could ever do such a lovely job at it - it's so hard! But it brings back memories of going with my grandma to the Ukrainian bazaars and of the smell of the wax.

Kempt said...

oh my god. Obviously i read the post previous before seeing the one about Vegreville. I've been out there so many times..
The first time, my little brother was standing behind me, and proceeded to launch a rock at it... afterwhich I had to hustle him into the car and run away!
It brings back such fond/strange memories.

Bart said...

oh wow, great song. thanks

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger