Nikole's Buttons

Sunday, 7 February 2010

The problem with film is that by the time I get my photos developed, the cookies are long gone.
The Monday after Nikole posted her shortbread cookie recipe, I spent the day in the kitchen whipping them up. Let me tell you, they are totally worth a day in the kitchen. The vanilla bean lends a perfect flavor and they are so deliciously buttery.

I had to pick up a kitchen scale before I could make these, but Nikole directed me to a little kitchen store north of Bloor on Yonge where I could find one that was good in quality and price.

I did learn a few things when baking these that I thought I would share:
1. You do not need too much food coloring, I went a little overboard. Start with a little, then add more.
2. Step 4, when you're kneading the dough together, be careful! I kneaded too much, they got a little bubbly. (No less delicious, though!).
3. I tended to roll the dough out too thin. They hold their shape better when they're between 1/4"-1/2" thick.
4. They are best shared, and people cannot help but coo over how cute they are. :) Including myself.


10 comments:

Christine said...

I love your blog. So much wonderful inspiration :)

Cara said...

I stole this tip from my mother, so I feel that karma will re-balance if I share it: she got my dad to cut her to pieces of 1/4" thick board (I believe she used some left over peg boards) and then wrapped them in wax paper. You place each board on the counter, a little less than the width of your rolling pin apart, and place the dough in the middle. As you roll, make sure the pin edges stay on each board, and your dough will always been exactly 1/4" thick!

Michelle said...

so cute! the colours are so bright and cheerful! I love them! (holy exclamation points haha)

nikole said...

this made me smile erica!

birch and sycamore said...

These looks so yummy!

erica-knits said...

Christine, thank you. I'm enjoying all the inspiration to be found on your blog, as well.

Cara, that is a great idea! Your Mom is a smart lady!

Michelle, I love exclamation points. :)!

Nikole, I'm glad. Thank you for sharing your recipe. :) It was a lot of fun to make.

Birch and Sycamore, they are really yummy! I recommend baking them for eating. :)

Lisa loves knitting said...

those look like yummy buttons ;)

Julie said...

ooh, you made the shortbread buttons!! I loved these since I saw the recipe, I'm so happy you tried them out. they look amazing.

Michelle said...

We're supposed to be getting an oven on Tuesday (right now there's just a big, sad gap in the kitchen) and the list of things I want to bake keeps getting longer and longer...I'll have to wait until winter to start in earnest though. And I'll keep your tips in mind!

that kate said...

These look great! I can't wait to make some!

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger