Japanese Inspired Cardigan

Thursday, 4 February 2010

This post is a little late, seeing as I uploaded the same photos to flickr and Ravelry on Monday. My excuse? I'm deep in the pit of essay writing. You may remember when, last September, I vowed to knit a cosy grey cardigan. Well, I didn't find the perfect pattern until November, a cabled number from Filati Handknitting Issue 38 (Model 27). After that, it took three whole months to finish.
It's inspired by the lovely Japanese knitting patterns that are often knit in one color to highlight the texture of the stitches. This cardigan helped me to get over my fear of knitting a sweater in pieces. I found that seaming is totally easy once you just sit down and get it over with. That being said, I did have to un-do half a sleeve and try again.
It was fun to knit and it helped me to conquer some of my knitting fears. Maybe this will encourage someone to conquer their knitting fears, as well!
I've also worn it for five days straight.

Bad quality cellphone pic.
Links:
In an attempt to spread my love for the non-Romantic side of Valentine's Day:

7 comments:

Breezy said...

oh man, i had looked everywhere for an awesome cardigan pattern and i ended up just buying one that i didn't like that much. too bad i didn't see this sooner! it's perfect - good job.

tara-lynn said...

hey erica, so lovely! great talent. i admit i have a fear of seaming too, i do it only when very necessary, i try to knit everything on circulars or double pointed. i have many half sweaters never seamed, sigh...
now that it is a much less busy knitting time for me & the shop, i have the desire to make a sweater too, we'll see, but you definitely have inspired me..

katrina said...

holy cow! it looks so good!

Michelle said...

that sweater is gorgeous! (I may just have to pick up my needles again and start those socks over again ;))

riotyarn said...

Love it too!

Julie said...

I absolutely love this cardigan!! We need to get you some better modelled FO shots. that is the definitive, perfect cardigan!

erica-knits said...

Thank you for the compliments everyone!
Breezy, I am quite picky! Though I find buying yarn quite easy, it's hard for me to buy it in large quantities, so I really have to love what I'm knitting!

Tara-Lynn, I have a really great little book that breaks down seaming really well. I like the matress stitch the best. Most of the time I find my lack of willingness to seam has to do with a lack of motivation!

Michelle, you can do it!

Riotyarn, thanks. :)

Julie, Oh! I would love to get better pictures of me in the sweater. :)

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger