Winter Boots

Sunday, 25 October 2009


I've spent most of my life rebelling against winter in the province that finds itself under 4ft of snow and weeks of -40 Celsius temperatures (I think that's -30 Fahrenheit). I drove everywhere in winter and wore high heeled boots to my heart's content (no, really!). This year I live in a much milder climate (so they tell me), but without a car to drive me to and fro. So, I finally made my parents proud and bought myself a pair of real winter boots. I bought the Timberland Mount Holly Earthkeepers from Get Outside. The sole is rubber that won't freeze and become slippery in low temperatures and they're lined with fleece. I'll admit my number one aversion to practical winter wear is always that it looks, well, practical. But, these boots had just enough cute to win me over.

If I still lived in Manitoba I'd be under a foot of snow right now. But whenever winter does come to Toronto, this time, I'll be ready for it!

10 comments:

anabela / fieldguided said...

Those are cute! I like the tops. I know it's nothing compared to Manitoba, but we do get some brutally cold days, and loads of disgusting slush. These boots will be perfect!

I tried on some Sorels today -- I think I'm going to take the plunge. So ugly! So waterproof.

Cara said...

Granted, I am in Saskatchewan, and if I listen to what everyone tells me, it is God's country, which might account for the difference, but alas, there is no foot of snow here. Not even a dusting. In fact, I just came in from outside, and there isn't even frost on the cars. However, Scott is convinced that you meant under a foot of snow emotionally... if so... please keep warm!

karyn said...

you will be so happy you have these boots when the snow arrives. there's nothing like tromping around with dry(!), warm(!) feet in toronto slush.

elena gold said...

those are really cute Erica! i bet you will love them. btw, my mom tried on my piksi hat, and now she really wants to make one. so cute, huh?

erica-knits said...

Oh, I'm so glad you've all assured me that these boots are, in fact, necessary. Or, at least a good idea.
Anabela, Sorels are very high quality winter wear, My dad would be so proud!

Cara, speaking from memory and oh, the snowstorms a couple weeks ago, I conclude I may have exaggerated a little. But not too much. Winters start early and end late in the prairies! Scott's probably right it's my emotional response to the memories of Manitoban winters.

Karyn, everyone I've talked to about Toronto winters does talk about the slush! Thanks for reaffirming my need for these boots!

Elena, Your mom wants a Piksi hat, too! That's great news! And super cute. Aw.

lois said...

I'm from Alberta, and loved my first Toronto winter. I was wondering when winter would ever arrive! Anyway, prairie winters make a girl tough. The winters here are more wet than brutally cold, those boots will serve you well :)

yethryn said...

Hey we have no snow at this point! An anomaly, I know.

aimlessambition said...

I really need to buy some winter boots. The slush here is ree-dee-cue-luss. Seriously, I am so sick of freezing rain! But with 16" calves, finding boots is not easy...

Yours are wicked cute, though.

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to find practical winter boots, that aren't practical looking too! Still in the hunt, debating on the sorels/uggs/& maybe your timberlands. Good find Erica:)

Would love to see pictures of those boots on you.

erica-knits said...

Here is a quick camera phone pic of the boots in action. May be awhile before they get used outside.
http://www.zannel.com/viewupdate.htm?id=D4UGC

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger