The Pie Shack

Tuesday, 13 October 2009

(all pictures via BlogTO, where I discovered the Pie Shack in the first place)
So the dessert party was a success, thank you all for your input! Of course, I was so silly and forgot to take any pictures of the event, my deepest apologies.
I now have a fridge full of leftover desserts, never a bad thing I suppose. :)
I just wanted to tell you a little bit about a lovely bakery I ordered the apple pie from, called the Pie Shack. It took me about an hour to get there by streetcar from my apartment, but oh boy was it worth it in the end! From the outside the pie shack has an adorable sign with a pie cooling on the windowsill, a little doghouse and a bike with a basket. On the inside are large wooden tables to sit down with friends and share a slice or two.
The store was packed on the Saturday before Canadian Thanksgiving and I patiently waited in line behind a few people who ordered some pumpkin pies to go. The owner Tim is so welcoming to everyone in the shop, he made sure to call everyone by name and shook many hands as groups were leaving. Tim and the other gentleman working to the time to make sure each customer was given personalized service and their undivided attention.


When it was my turn I proudly announced I was there to pick up an apple pie to go. Tim made sure to give me exact instructions on how to serve my pie that evening and when I was finished paying he brought my receipt around the counter in person to give me my handshake. He even asked if I needed help carrying it anywhere. However, I politely declined, saying I had a long way to go and that I would be fine. When I told him where I was coming from he said "Wow, thanks so much for coming all this way and I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving."

For a homesick girl on Thanksgiving weekend a pie from the Pie Shack was just what I needed.
I hope my guests enjoyed that pie as much as I did.

All said and done, my trip to the Pie Shack was a lovely reminder that nothing beats shopping and supporting local businesses.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's me (Michelle) again. Oh my! I want to hop on a streetcar and make my way over there right now! Thanks for posting this.

Kate said...

oh my, this pie shack needs to make its way to NYC!

erin said...

That pie was deeeeeelish! But so was the one you made, and those cookies, and ummm everything!! Thanks so much for having us over.

Julie Crawford said...

Gasp! I hadn't heard of that place until now!! I'm going to have to try it now!

- Julie

JASMINE said...

oooh, this place looks great; will definitely check out. i love getting out of my neighborhood and taking a trip to queen east.

erica-knits said...

Sorry for the late replies to your comments! Once again, I totally recommend the trip out to the Pie Shack, I doubt you'd be disappointed! Ps. I will take all your recommendations of great places to check out in Toronto! I have lots more to see and eat I'm sure.

Kate, there's only one solution to this problem. You could come to Toronto! In the meantime, my goal is to make my way out to New York while I live so close!

Michelle said...

huzzah for delicious local businesses!

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger