The Owls Sweater

Friday, 4 September 2009

My free time has come to an abrupt end recently now that I've found work and with school beginning next week, but this last month gave me a lot of free time for creative pursuits. My most important accomplishment was the creation of my very first sweater for me ever! I always thought knitting sweaters would be too expensive and take too much time, but after discovering Cascade Eco Wool and seamless sweaters I'll never look back. The Eco Wool comes in these massive skeins and it only took one and a half for a medium sized sweater, 1 1/2 people! That's a total cost of $36!
The Owls Sweater pattern is designed by Kate Davies and can be found for free on Ravelry. The pattern was clearly written and easy to follow. The sweater shaping in the back makes this sweater flattering and without any hideous bulges, ha! The pattern calls for buttons to be sewn on for the owl's eyes, but to me, that's a little to kitschy. I plan on rocking this sweater like the humanoid version (pictured below) with skinny jeans and a black blazer.

8 comments:

  1. It's so pretty. I love that the owls are so subtle!

    (Yes, I rushed to my parents house and what am I doing during the time I have to kill before driving them to the airport? Sitting on the computer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sweater. I can't wait for next winter so I can make one for myself. I totally agree about the eyes. I think it looks heaps cuter without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job!! I love that owl sweater.

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is gorgeous, Erica. Awesome job--I absolutely love the color and the cabled owls! I am also knitting my first *for big people not babies* sweater and it is super slow going. I like the idea of using only 1 1/2 skeins for a sweater as my pattern requires 8, on size 7 needles! I should finish up just in time for Christmas 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!
    Kat, you totally confused me with your comment until I realized you were from Australia! I guess it will be a little too hot for wool soon?

    Thanks Julie! For a first sweater is was just the right balance of easy and interesting.

    Kristien, good luck on that sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey!

    I really dig the sweater and the colour, mind telling which colour number it is?

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Monika, Thank you! The color number is 8061.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!
    Can't find the pattern tho, can you please, please, please email it to me? I'll be so grateful.

    mariasundstrom@live.se

    ReplyDelete

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger