Wine and Bread

Wednesday, 2 July 2008

The Bread and Wine Bag by Rebecca Minkoff

I really think I should change my lifestyle to revolve around the proper use of this bag. I have a huge obesession with French and European culture... or what I think is French and European culture; slow food, leisure, elegance in everyday, but I haven't quite been able to achieve that goal with my North American lifestyle. On the bright side, I have been able to use my French quite frequently at work, which always serves to make me feel a little closer to my goal.
Any tips for adopting European culture into a fast-paced North American schedule?
Here is a cute post from Ashley about an elegant lady on a train.

2 comments:

Lee Ann said...

Well, first of all, the bag is missing a crucial section: Cheese.

Second, speaking as an American who immigrated to Montréal to marry a French French guy, North American culture does not allow for leisure...at all. So you have to build it into your life. Which may mean finding a bakery, or baking bread yourself, or doing a hell of a lot of work to get the little things that make life great. Which usually involves food.

Honestly, start by using fresh food for everything. Refuse to buy processed food, and learn to deal with the consequences. This may mean long hours with Julia Child, but your tastebuds will thank you.

Here's a first step: don't use anything but real, unsalted butter.
Even the elegant thin ladies in France eat butter. Just small amounts of it. But they sure as hell won't touch I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Real food, only real food, all the time :-)

erica-knits said...

Thanks so much Lee Ann! You are right it is missing cheese, I didn't even think of that. I do agree, we North Americans really do have to work hard for leisure. My goal in life is to be able to make a baguette. Merci beaucoup!

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger