The Fisherman Sweater

Saturday, 12 April 2008


So you're probably thinking, isn't it Spring? Why is this post about sweaters?
Well it is, and this post is about sweaters for no other reason than they have caught my imagination. In fact this whole obsession started when I saw the Perfect Vacation Clan Sweater. I'd been linked to the PV sight by many blogs, and while I love their little flower print dresses for spring, I love the clan sweater more.
Aran Clan sweaters first originated in the Aran Islands off the coast of Ireland. The sweaters consist of elaborate cable patterns, each with a certain significance. The sweaters were large and knit from a white wool called bainin. The natural oils in the wool served to absorb moisture but keep the wearer dry and warm. Therefore, perfect for the fishermen of the isles.
They were called Clan sweaters because the elaborate patterns signified which family the wearer was a part of. These patterns were guarded and past down from generation to generation.
I did some searching online and found a site called Clan Aran Sweaters where I was able to track down the sweater for the "Smith" clan, which is my family... Well, if we were to be from Ireland.
My favorite quote from the description has to be: "This surname is famous for being ordinary."
Yeah, yeah I know...
Doesn't it look cozy?
I love how the sleeves are rolled up. I'm picturing black tights, maybe a belt if it could get around the bulk, and some fabulous heeled oxfords. Or like this girl from the face hunter.
Ok, now we can return to spring.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these jumpers but have no idea where they sell them!

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger