Outfit Inspiration #2

Saturday, 15 December 2007

Scanned from British Vogue August 2006 (Click it to see larger version)

Deep down inside I have always wanted to be a hipster. You know, have everything a little ironic, an asymmetrical haircut, skinny dark jeans, beat up sneaks, backstage at shows. The cool kid who has deep conversations about politics and snaps party pics. However, it will never be.

For one I'm not ironic, I'm ridiculously genuine to a fault, I have curly hair (so much for Emily O bangs), and I'd rather stay home and knit than be caught in a big group of people I don't know.
All this and the allure is still there. That's why I love the way fashion can symbolize a certain lifestyle. I can live vicariously through my clothing. I can put on my skinny jeans, a baggy ironic t-shirt, a thrift store plaid shirt, chucks, and keffiyeh if only to dream. But, if you do see me dressed up like this, do stop; I would love to grab some coffee and talk to you about communism....

6 comments:

juliet said...

You're more than a hipster, you're a hip craftster! That's much better, I think. Oh dear, 'hip craftster' sounds a bit geeky, so now you know that I'm not a hipster either :P

Jessica said...

Living in Wiliamsburg I have often been labeled a hipster by my friends from back home or those that don't live there. i am just dressing how i always dress...kind of funny eh?

you are great the way you are no labels needed.

http://www.theshinysquirrel.com

tonpetiteoiseau said...

Exactly, labels are so confining! But it is definitely a look I like anyways. That's why fashion can be so great, you can try on different looks and at the end of the day be done with them!

Kelly said...

Wow, it's cool how you can seamlessly "become" a hipster whenever you want to! It's weird because where I live people who are hipsters are labelled as "indie"... and the word hipster is kinda considered dorky and un-indie!

tonpetiteoiseau said...

Kelly: That is so funny, so "indie" it is. Ha ha. I'm from a smaller city so it's really easy to just dress however I want, people here are used to me. It's interesting that by using the wrong word to describe the same thing can change the meaning entirely!

Kelly said...

I live in the middle of nowhere so hipster is probably more commonly used than indie, I think. If any "indies" went overseas, they would probably be scandalised to be called a hipster!!!

erica knits All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger